Woking Young Musicians Trust
Qualification Criteria 2021
- Due to the Covid-19 pandemic, arrangements for dealing with applications will be different in 2021. Video recordings will be required from applicants who have been short-listed. Subsequent interviews will be online.
- Eligible applicants must either be or have been educated within 8 miles of Woking Station or be resident within that area. The area is defined by postcode. We regret that this excludes applicants attending music lessons in the defined area but not otherwise educated or resident within the defined area.
- Eligible applicants must be aged between 14 and 20 on 31st December 2020.
- The Trustees reserve the right to compile a short-list from applications.
- Short-listed applicants will be required to provide a video recording* of a performance by 19th March 2021 as part of their audition with an online interview on Friday 26th March 2021, between approximately 18:00 and 21:00. Awards may be granted to applicants showing exceptional musical promise. All eligible musicians are welcome to apply, including instrumentalists, singers, pianists, organists, composers and conductors.
- Special arrangements will be made for organists or conductors.
- Auditions will comprise, in part, a video performance (or a presentation in the case of composition applicants) lasting no more than 10 minutes.
- Good performance presentation at the audition is paramount.
- At the interview, candidates will be asked how they might apply any award towards the specific musical purpose named on their application form. It is critical that applicants have a clear musical purpose in mind; awards for general musical expenses will not be considered.
- Applicants are encouraged to use their own accompanist for their videoed performance. **
- The Trust can recommend accompanists who can be contacted and may be available for your recording.
- Applicants should make their own arrangements for prior rehearsal and should note that, should payment for an accompanist’s services be necessary, it will be their own responsibility and not that of the Trust.
- The deadline for applications is Friday, 19th February 2021. No applications can be accepted after this date.
- Applicants should download and save the Application Form from our website (www.wokingymt.org) to their computer. After completion, it should be sent as an email attachment to:
- If preferred, the Application Form may be completed neatly by hand and sent by post to the following address: Woking Young Musicians Trust, Wyke Cottage, Guildford Road, Normandy, GUILDFORD, Surrey, GU3 2AN.
- The Application Form will include the applicant’s Head of Music, or instrumental/vocal/composition teacher. This is to allow us to ask for a reference in your support. Please seek consent from the person concerned before submitting their email address.
- Candidates will be notified of their results as soon as possible after the interview. A brief summary of constructive feedback will be included as an integral part of these results.
- Successful candidates are required to keep the Trustees appraised of the use of their award and may be asked for proof of purchase. Awards are expected to be used within 3 years of award date. If the award is misspent or not spent within the 3 years, the Trust reserves the right to ask for the amount to be refunded.
* Video Submission Form required
** Please see advice about using recorded backing accompaniment in the section entitled “4 Advice for the Performance” in the “Submitting Video Recordings for Audition” document.
© Woking Young Musicians Trust