Woking Young Musicians Trust
Qualification Criteria 2022
- Eligible students must either be or have been educated within 8 miles of Woking Station or be resident within that area. The area is defined by postcode (see below*). We regret that this excludes students attending music lessons in the defined area but not otherwise educated or resident within the defined area.
- Eligible students must be aged between 14 and 20 on 31st December 2021.
- Auditions will be held at St. Peter’s Church, Old Woking on Friday 25th March 2022, between approximately 18:00 and 21:00, when awards may be granted to students showing exceptional musical promise. All eligible musicians are welcome to apply, including instrumentalists, singers, pianists, organists, composers and conductors.
- The Trustees reserve the right to compile a short-list from applications.
- Auditions will be followed by a brief interview. Special arrangements will be made for organists or conductors. Auditions will comprise a live performance (or a presentation in the case of composition students) lasting no more than 10 minutes.
- Good performance presentation at the audition is paramount.
- At the interview, candidates will be asked how they might apply any award towards the specific musical purpose named on their application form. It is critical that students have a clear musical purpose in mind; awards for general musical expenses will not be considered.
- Students are encouraged to bring their own accompanist to the audition for their live performance. The Trust can recommend accompanists who can be contacted and may be available on the audition date. Students should make their own arrangements for prior rehearsal and should note that payment for an accompanist’s services will be their own responsibility and not that of the Trust. Only in exceptional circumstances will the use of backing tracks be accepted, e.g. for a composition presentation.
- The deadline for applications is Friday, 25th February 2022. No applications can be accepted after this date.
- Students should download and save the Application Form. After completion, it should be sent as an email attachment to:
- If preferred, the Application Form may be completed neatly by hand and sent by post to the following address: Woking Young Musicians Trust, Wyke Cottage, Guildford Road, Normandy, GUILDFORD, Surrey, GU3 2AN.
- The Application Form must be counter-signed by the student’s Head of Music, or instrumental/vocal/composition teacher, together with the latter’s contact details (ideally email) to allow for confirmation.
- Candidates will be notified of their results as soon as possible after the auditions. A brief summary of constructive feedback will be included as an integral part of these results.
- An Awards Ceremony for successful candidates will be held in Woking on Sunday 15th May 2022 at which each recipient will be asked to give a short presentation.
- Successful candidates are required to keep the Trustees appraised of the use of their award and may be asked for proof of purchase. Awards are expected to be used within 3 years of award date. If the award is misspent or not spent within the 3 years, the Trust reserves the right to ask for the amount to be refunded.
- A copy of these criteria can be downloaded from here.
* GU1, GU2, GU3, GU4, GU15, GU16, GU18, GU19, GU20, GU21, GU22, GU23, GU24, GU25, KT11, KT12, KT13, KT14, KT15, KT16, KT24, SL5, TW17, TW20
© Woking Young Musicians Trust